My good friend, Phil, and I worked for over a year building a craps table. Along the way we learned a lot about woodworking and buying a number of tools. Yeah, ok, we bought a lot of rum, too. Anyway, here’s a collection of pictures that chronicals our efforts.
After cutting out all the different pieces, we started with the easy things. Attatching the base for the chiprail was reasonably simple. The hard part up to here was cutting out all of the curved pieces for the corners. Phil tells me it was a right pain in the arse. He and his dad spent a day cutting them out since I don’t have a bandsaw yet.
Finally, the walls and top rail are in place. We have the braces there so the walls remain plumb.
Now most of the work is done. …yeah, right. We thought so at the time, but we were wrong. Still, its never too early to toast!
Before we covered the table base with the felt or with stain, we signed the wood and christened it with 12yr old single malt Dramboui. YUM! Hope the table enjoyed it as much as we did.
Ok, we couldn’t wait. The walls were up, the top rail was on, and it was beginning to look a lot like a craps table! We had to play.
A great start! Phil hits the 5 and passes. YAY! We won, …er… some fake chips. Oh, well. Its fun.
Here you see Phil and I sanding and prepping the table base and drink rail. The original plan called for the base to be attatched to the legs, but we opted for just having it set on the legs for greater portability. You can see in the picture the quarter round trim we used as a seat for the legs so the table wouldn’t move side-to-side.
We finally get to staining and sealing with polyurethane. You see in the picture the underneath side of the table base. The top side (drink rail) has 5 coats of poly on it! Should be durable.
These were what we were dreading for the entire project. Again the original plan called for something different, but we felt that if we were going to do this thing, we were going to do it right! The straight chip rails weren’t that difficult. We just ran them straight through the router a couple of times. The curved pieces took some more thought. We eventually made a curved jig so the piece could slide around on a radius and cut the chip rails. It worked out better than we’d thought it would.
With the everything finally in place, we loaded up the table and drove it from my place up to Omaha. There we finished the staining, and the end product is what you see before you.
The one thing that we were still missing as of this photo was the mirror, but that’s been fixed since. I need to take a new picture. of the inside so you can see.